Friday 30 March 2012

Who are these good people?

I know I have just written about a question on Question Time but I have to write again about party funding. Anna Soubry, a Conservative MP is under the impression that any donor to a political party may have no influence over that party. I find this incredible. If anyone had funded her personal campaign then there would be no question that she would be influenced. She admits that she would like to meet large donors but if they want to influence her then they would be "sent packing".

Anna needs to know that we all influence each other by our words and by our actions, not just by saying "here is some money now do as I say". If someone is kind enough to support me then doesn't it make sense to see how my further actions may lead to further support? Of course it does. The Tories know it and this includes Anna Soubry. It's just a pity she doesn't say it.

Sarah Teather is also of the opinion that money should not influence policy. If this is the case then why do Liberal Democrats criticise Labour for being funded by the unions and the Tories for being funded by big business? Edmund Burke said something about all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Who are these good men? It sounds more and more like you can only be good if you are an MP.

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment