Friday 5 April 2013

How not to devise an immigration policy


Since I have been knocking on doors I have met quite a few people who don't like immigration. Here is the gist of one conversation from a couple of days ago.  I ask if there is anything that I can take up with the council for the householder and the reply is yes, stop letting all the immigrants in. I reply that my daughter went to Australia a couple of months ago and ask if that is alright. The answer is yes so I ask why. My question is answered with a question. Did I bring her up well? I answer yes which means that it is alright for her to go to Australia.

There we have it. Immigration is alright if you have brought your children up well, but who decides when children have been brought up well? I have moved away from David Cameron's remarks about UKIP supporters being closet racists but I can see where he got the idea.

"Don't get me wrong", was this resident's concluding remark, "I have a lot of friends who are foreigners."

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment