Thursday 12 November 2009

Is lowering charges unprofessional?

I am a part-time photographer. See my blog http://photographyfornovices.blogspot.com/ and for the first time yesterday I received an album from Italy. It is one of those albums in which the photos are printed directly onto the page. I looked at the charges from other photographers and deducted a few hundred pounds. I wasn't sure of the exact costs as there are so many variables, but now that I have my first album I know that I can lower my prices even more.

I was a physiotherapist till 2008 and I worked in the NHS. I never worked privately but if I had done so I was told that there was no maximum charge. However I should not undercut the standard charges as this was unprofessional. My dilemma, and I could do with your help on this one, is that as a photographer I believe in a fair day's wage for a fair day's work which means undercutting other prices. I see this as using market forces to maximise potential in the business (that means make more money). This is capitalism at work, but are my actions in lowering the prices unprofessional or could it be the right thing to do in the present economic climate?

Change the world

1 comment:

  1. So long as you don't put yourself in a situation where you make a loss I can't see a problem.
    I worked for a music charity for 6 and 1/2 years, and our tution prices were at the lower end of the scale..as many of our tutors were independent tutors in their own right, we did not knowingly undercut them. I agree, a fair dayspay for a fair days work.
    Wish I could find someone who would pay fair pay for expert skills that I have

    ReplyDelete