Monday 15 February 2010

The Internet Posse

I received a comment on Friday asking for my views on http://www.tpuc.org/node/34 Basically it is quite a long article that contains a list of politicians who have been involved in scandals. I did reply that I was going to be busy for a couple of days (see my photography blog where you will find some photos of the two weddings for which I was the photographer) so I couldn't give a considered reply. However I can give my general thoughts even though I still have some work to do on the photos.

We are all human and prone to human error. The judicial system is not perfect and some of the politicians in the list may indeed be innocent. The article is a little out of date because it refers to Prime Minister Tony Blair. Jack Staw's son was arrested 13 years ago so this article covers a large spectrum of society over many years.

I think the anonymous person who told me about the article wanted me to condemn all the people listed and say that I was horrified. However scandals happen and politicians are not immune from scandal. As for me judging them, I am not in a position to do so. I will condemn actions if you like but I don't think that this was the response that was wanted.

I may give my opinion on specific examples from the website in future blogs, but here is one final thought of a general nature. I don't see people as either saints of evil creatures. I think we are all on a sliding scale of goodness and just because some are found guilty in our courts it doesn't mean that we should get up a posse and drive them out of town. It just feels like this article is doing the internet equivalent.

Change the world

2 comments:

  1. Just canvassing your opinion Micheal I was not expecting anything.

    No problem with "D" notices gagging the press then Micheal in this case?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much time for restrictive practices, but I don't have much time full stop. I will get back to you when I can.

    ReplyDelete