Wednesday 17 November 2010

Be careful what you wish for

At the weekend I was speaking with someone who hopes to become a teacher next year. He told me a wonderful story about the incentives that are given in schools and I will share it with you.

Raffle tickets were given to all pupils who worked well, who behaved well or were just there when a teacher thought that there was s good reason to give out a ticket. They were given out fairly regularly but one pupil only received one raffle ticket before he was permanently excluded (expelled to you and me) from the school. You guessed it - he won the raffle!

When I was at school I seem to remember that most of the incentives were negative. A prefect of discipline kept us behaving well. I respond better to praise now and I am sure that I did as a child. I would have wished for raffles to alter my behaviour, but you have to be careful what you wish for.

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment