Wednesday 12 January 2011

Maybe voters prefer dishonest politicians!

I had an interesting conversation last week with someone who told me that they voted for a Liberal Democrat minister but would not do so again because they had changed their tune - mostly over tuition fees. I did say that you can't really criticise a minister because they have ministerial responsibility to support government policies. They can't say what they want to say and it is up to other Liberal Democrats to come up with party policies.

I mentioned the scenario in which a prospective MP says one thing, becomes a member of a coalition government and says his (or her) views had to be modified. Should the MP be criticised for their honesty? The conversation took a strange turn. The reply was they wouldn't vote again for this MP. My reply was that they wouldn't vote for them because they had been honest.

Maybe voters prefer dishonest politicians!

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment