Monday 19 July 2010

Accidents happen

Have you ever watched a child running around and you thought something might get knocked over, like a stack of tins? Then when something happens the child get told off. I have always thought the guardian should be told off before anything happened.

I was watching a rugby league match yesterday between Batley and Widnes. It was the Northern Rail Cup final so it was an important match and both teams were playing aggressively. Normally it is so much easier for me to agree with rugby, rather than football commentators and referees because the discipline is so much greater in rugby. However yesterday some decisions were not quite right and the referee tried to make up for it by being wrong to both teams. His decisions were probably fair to both teams in the end and the best team won.

However the main reason for thinking about the match was because of an accidental injury when a finger went into an eye which immediately became black. The commentators called it an accident but it would be hard to distinguish this from a deliberate attempt to injure made to look like an accident. Maybe it's not a big deal. I used to play rugby and I wouldn't think twice about being tackled high. My tackles were usually around the waist but accidents do happen - ask children running round stacks of cans. However I have also met rugby players who would deliberately try to injure.

Change the world

P.S. Congratulations to Batley

2 comments:

  1. Once upon a time there was a saying that association football is a gentleman’s game played by thugs, and rugby a thug’s game played by gentlemen.

    I perceive that as far as rugby is concerned the thugs (and cheats with blood capsules) have taken over the asylum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard this saying from both league and union players. Whoever is talking becomes the gentleman. I am alao not sure where the gentlemen are now.

    ReplyDelete