Saturday 12 February 2011

A speedy conversation

I went for a drink a couple of days ago - nothing unusual there. In one pub I was in a conversation about cars and two drinkers reckoned there was nothing wrong with speeding. One person even said that if they were chased by the police for twenty minutes then it was worth a fine!

I have always accepted that fast cars with top speeds well in excess of our speed limits were acceptable because they can accelerate quickly, can be used to their full potential on Autobahns and they may be nice cars. This wasn't good enough for these two. It seems that a driver of a sports car would look foolish (those weren't the exact words that were used) if they kept to the speed limits.

I did not think that I held a minority view that we should keep to the speed limit. I don't think we can pick and choose which laws we wish to break but it looks like there we need to win over a few more hearts and minds.

Change the world

1 comment:

  1. The 20 mph speed limit in the West End is always being broken. I've lost count of the number of times I have had the car behind up my exhaust pipe. Many people think the speed limit is a suggestion only.

    ReplyDelete