Sunday 13 February 2011

A time without lawyers?

On Friday evening I was fortunate enough to be part of a sell-out crowd watching Fairport Convention at The Platform in Morecambe. Simon Nicol introduced the song Matty Groves by mentioning the story. He never told us the title but I am sure the majority of the audience knew which song would be sung when Simon spoke about a time before lawyers when a husband killed his wife and her lover.

In fact he enthused about such a time when there were no lawyers. Of course lawyers have been around for some time and they have been around much longer than this 16th century song. There are quite a few lawyers in the Bible and I seem to remember a major trial in the New Testament. However I do take Simon's point. When traffic lights stop working I tend to find traffic flows more easily. I wonder what would happen without lawyers.

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment