Wednesday 6 April 2011

A Police Apology

Almost two years ago I wrote about the G20 protests. In particular I wrote about the investigation into the death of Ian Tomlinson shortly after he was pushed over by a police officer. I felt that the balaclava and the lack of an obvious number on the uniform was not helpful to the investigation and I felt it was a cause for concern if police officers could remain anonymous. Well PC Simon Harwood is not an anonymous officer and he apologised yesterday "if it is the case that in any way I have caused Mr Tomlinson's death".

I am pleased that this apology has been made. I think the police have a hard job and the push was not particularly excessive but I was waiting for the result of the inquiry. Results were published and now an apology has been made. The inquest continues but I remain concerned about the possibility of police anonymity when dealing with protests.

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment