Wednesday 3 June 2009

Some people just don't vote

While I was out campaigning today I met two ladies who were going into a house. I gave them a leaflet but they said they voted every day for God. I saw their magazine 'Awake' and I knew that Jehovah's Witnesses did not take part in politics. They told me that they vote for God every day. I told them that I vote in both elections for God and for man. I wanted to ask for my leaflet back but I put it more politely and said "should I take that back?" It turns out that it wasn't their house and they took it for the owner.

My problem with the Jehovah's Witnesses' stand on politics is that they are missing out on helping to socially change the world. They will say that what man does is inifinitely less important than man's relationship with God but at the same time they do not isolate themselves from non-religious social interaction. They still go into shops and pay with currency. They still earn a living and pay taxes. We have relationships with other humans as well as God but this can be a reflection of our relationship with God. How do you deal with a lack of housing or poor education or man's need for health care?

The Jehovah's Witnesses have to work within social organisations but don't want to influence them. I always finish blogs with the expression 'change the world'. How could this be adapted for the Jehovah's Witnesses? I am not sure, but if you can influence things for the better, whether it is social care or pensions or good road surfaces then...

Change the world

No comments:

Post a Comment