Wednesday 7 April 2010

Meaningless negative posters

I saw a poster in Lancaster yesterday. It was one that I had not seen in Morecambe but I will take a photo and add it to this blog. It is a picture of Gordon Brown and the comment is about releasing prisoners early. As it is paid for by the Tories I take this comment as an adverse criticism. The first problem with this is that it is negative campaigning and it just doesn't go down well. It may be that some people cast their vote for negative reasons but there are those who like to consider what they are voting for.

My second problem with this poster is that I consider the early release of prisoners as a very important aspect of prisoner rehabilitation. I have written previously about the prison service and it has to serve as a punishment, but if rehabilitation is not high on the agenda then we will produce schools of crime. Even if you don't put rehabilitation high on your prison agenda then it has to be somewhere on the list. Once you accept this you also accept the problem with the poster. It is meaningless.

Are we really fighting this general election on meaningless negative posters?

Change the world

2 comments:

  1. When I first saw the poster near the football ground I thought it had been put up by the Labour Party. I think these negative posters are daft too. We want to know what they "say" they will do...not what the opposing parties have done wrong. To me it's wasting a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good point Sea. If they are willing to waste their money then what will they do with ours?

    ReplyDelete